Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Catch Up Post

Wow! So much has happened in the last 2 weeks since my last post...Jack has reflux...and let me tell you its a nightmare! Dr. tried us on Zantac and that didn't hardly touch it, then we tried an all natural homeopathic medicine, but all that did was put him to sleep, but as soon as he woke up he was screaming again! So now we are on Prilosec, he has only had 5 doses so we will see...yesterday was horrible, but today has been much better! So let's keep our fingers crossed that he starts feeling better soon!

How did we figure this out you ask?...Well it was harder then you might think - he has Silent Reflux meaning that he hardly ever actually spits up. He has wet burps, and probably spits up once a day or so, but nothing more then what I would consider normal for a baby. Silent Reflux is when the formula and stomach acid go back up the esophagus, but then go back down - burning him both ways. He started doing this weird gaspy type noise and then his little eyes would turn red and he would get a grimace look on his face and then scream!!! My first hint was that he was starting to get fussy during his feedings when I would burp him and then he would be upset after the feeding was done. I thought he must be hungry so we would give him another ounce of formula, but he would continue to scream...then he started the drooling. Dr. said he is producing extra saliva to try to coat his throat since it's probably sore and since the muscle in his tummy isnt closing properly he couldnt swallow it all down. Most of the time when he does spit up its mainly saliva mixed with a tiny bit of formula. He also started not sleeping or napping well...he would reflux b/c he was laying on his back and it would wake him up and he would cry.


I had mixed emotions about the prescription medicines, but after seeing him cry, grimace and scream for days on end I gave in - I thought, my poor guy hasnt felt good pretty much his whole life thus far (gas, colic, reflux - although now i think what we thought before was colic was probably his reflux). The only good thing is that he hasn't become averse to eating and is still gaining weight nicely - about an ounce a day! He refluxes quite awhile after he eats so the dr. said he probably isnt associating it with his meal time!


Other then that Jack was 8 weeks old this past Thursday! He is smiling more and more, cooing, and getting stronger and stronger! He holds his head up pretty well on his own - hopefully we will be able to use his BUMBO chair in the next few weeks!


On the downside - I'm going back to work tomorrow and Jack will have his first half day at daycare...we'll see how it goes...But since I'll be back at work I should have more time to keep current on my posts!


xoxo

No comments: