Thursday, October 20, 2011

24 Weeks

Today is our 24 week mark! In one sense it feels like we are getting there, but then I look and say, well that's still 16 to go and that's 4 months and that feels like forever!
I haven't updated since we had our appointment at Childrens Mercy in KC a couple weeks ago, we went up on a Monday morning, the 10th and it as the doctor put it "everything today looks good and is good news." Me being me though had a couple days of "what about" "what if" etc. In reality I guess there were 3 things he was looking at; BS2's heart, My amniotic fluid levels, and My low lying placenta.
BS2's heart - doctor said there is a calcification or calcium deposit on a muscle that is attached to one of her heart valves. He said it could go away or stay, but if it stayed that it wouldn't grow as BS2 does - it's more like a "birth mark" and would get smaller as she gets bigger/older. He never said what causes them, I don't think they really know. He did say that it's a soft marker for Down Syndrome, but that all of our screenings had come back normal and he didn't see anything else on the ultrasound that would lead him to believe that would be something we need to worry about or consider. He did offer us an amniocentesis, but we declined. At this point, Chris and I don't feel the risk is worth it and really, if she does have Down Syndrome it doesn't change anything. We took the approach of "if it's something we could do or something to impact or change the outcome then we would do more testing" - this just doesn't fit that bill. And in reality, when I was pregnant with Jack he had dilated kidneys, which is also a soft marker for Down Syndrome, but again all our screenings were normal so it was never a worry.
Amniotic fluid - I have always heard that too little amniotic fluid isn't good, but had never heard that too much amniotic fluid was also not so good. I was told, informally I guess, when I was at the hospital delivering Jack that I had a lot of amniotic fluid based on when the broke my water, etc. Well I guess medically I have a lot of amniotic fluid this time. Doctor explained that when they see high levels of amniotic fluid it causes concern that there could be blockages or issues with the babies GI tract, stomach, intestines, bowels, etc. that would cause the fluid level to rise b/c the baby wasn't taking it in (b/c that's what they eat in utero). Doctor said they looked at all of that really closely and didn't see any indication of anything like that happening with BS2. He also said the high level mark was 8 cm (they measure the single deepest pocket of fluid) and I was at 7cm so not technically high, but borderline.
Placenta - I've known since 15 weeks that I had partial previa because we had a scary bleeding episode. We had a follow up ultrasound at 18 weeks and 22 weeks and then with Dr. Bennett at 22.5 weeks. All of the ultrasounds show that it is moving up and both Dr. Bennett (KC Dr.) and Dr. Shaw (My OBGGYN) feel that it shouldn't be an issue at delivery. The worst case here is a c-section for delivery and if that's the worst case, I'm fine with that.
So all in all Dr. Bennett said she looks good, we are going back on November 7th to see Dr. Bennett again, he wanted to take one more look and just make sure she is growing like she should be (which she has been with each ultrasound) and take a second look at her heart. Overal, Chris and I are feeling good with everything at this point and I feel her movin' and groovin' all day every day so that keeps me sane! Oh and the ultrasound lady said baby weighed 1 pound 4 ounces!
And now, our pregnancy stats!
Pregnancy Highlights
How Far Along: 24 Weeks
Weight Gain: 6 pounds
Maternity Clothes: Bottoms Only
Gender: GIRL!
Movement: Constant
Symptoms/Complaints: Jack and I have both been a bit under the weather this week, I think mine is just sinuses, but it's pretty miserable.
Cravings: McD's
BS2 Stats
Food Size: Ear of Corn
Weight: A little over a Pound
Length: 1 Foot
Development Info: BS2 is starting to put on fat and plump up and her brain is developing quickly at this point, and her taste buds are also developing!
xoxo

No comments: