Wednesday, May 26, 2010

birth to three

For those of you that keep up with the blog know that we have been somewhat concerned with Jack's gross motor skill development for awhile now. He could roll over, but you would never see him do it (he didn't roll until about 5 months though), and he didn't start bearing weight on his legs until he was over 9 months old and he wasn't army crawling or even really attempting to learn to crawl, etc. etc. etc.

So about 8 weeks ago at our last "Parents as Teachers" home visit Dacia (our PAT lady) referred us to the "Birth to Three" program for an evaluation. I think Dacia was becoming slightly concerned as well, but maybe it was my insistance that swayed her...who knows. Either way a couple weeks after Dacia's visit I received a call from DeeDee from Bto3 and we scheduled a home visit for an evaluation. Bto3 is different from PAT in that anyone can do the PAT program, but Bto3 is more for children that have developmental delays. In order to qualify for the program DeeDee explained that he would have to show at least a 25% developmental delay or else she wouldn't be able to come back and see us again.

So she went through a ton of questions and observed Jack for about 30-45 minutes. In the end she reviewed all of his scores. I can't remember all of them, but there was 4 or 5 categories - fine motor skills, gross motor skills, cognitive skills, verbal skills, social skills, and if there were more I don't remember, sorry! All I know is that Jack does not qualify for the program, he is showing ZERO delays in any area. I do remember that gross motor was his lowest score, but still 2 points over the cut off. She was impressed with some of Jack's actions so she went ahead and tested him at an older level for verbal and cognitive skills and he scored in the 14 month range! What a little smarty pants he is!

In the end she said she would sign us up for a "Step Ahead" program that will allow us to continue to keep an eye on him. Basically I will get a survey that will ask questions about his development every few months and I will mail it back and if anything gets flagged then DeeDee will come back!

So all in all my worries were for nothing!

I have tons of things I could list as new things Jack is doing, but I want to wait a few more days until his birthday and do his 12 month update! Can you believe he will be 1 year old in just 2 more days!?! I can't!

xoxo

1 comment:

Tj and Chelse said...

that is GREAT news. i know you've been worried about him for awhile. keep up the good work.

gosh, 2 days! it doesn't seem possible.