Friday, September 25, 2009

4 Month Sleep Regression...We gots it!

So I read a few different forums for Jack's birth month - it's a bunch of mom's with babies all born in May, you can ask questions and give advice and most of it is all relevant since the babies are so close in age. Anyway since Jack is towards the end of the month - the 28th! I have kept seeing posts about a 4 month sleep regression and all these mothers talking about how their babies that had previously been sleeping through the night were now waking 1,2, and even 3 times a night to feed or just be awake and I kept thinking to myself these women are crazy - what would cause a baby to do this other then maybe a growth spurt? So I basically ignored the posts and moved on - well now that we are getting ever so close to Jack's 4 month mark he has started waking again at 3:30am like clockwork every night! EVERY NIGHT! I'm dying here! Ha! He doesn't necessarily seem hungry, just awake and cranky b/c I know he is still tired but awake for some reason. I'm at a loss as to what to do?! I usually don't move a muscle once he starts stirring for fear I will wake him up more, I just lay there and pray that he will go back to sleep, but nope he stirs, stirs more, starts babbling, babbles louder, then the crying starts. I then try to give his button to him, which doesn't help anything. So I will pick him up change his diaper (at which time he is all smiles and wide-eyed) and then I try to get him back to sleep by rocking (I know - rocking, grr....but I have no other option then to let him cry and I'm not doing that - yet!), and if that won't calm him I will resort to feeding him, but only like 3-4 ounces, he eats and then goes back to sleep until 6 - 6:30am.

I'm so tired of him suddenly waking up again - it started last weekend and I'm at a loss as to what to do to stop it. I haven't read/researched the whole sleep regression theory much, but no one has mentioned a way to stop it or help it return to normal...

And I have to mention after barely eating 2/3 of his normal intake last week for about 5 or 6 days (only 20 ounces on some days - usual was 30-32 oucnes), he has now been downing 35-40 ounces a day since this past Sunday!

We have also started the process of weaning off the Nutramigen or as I call it "I'm totally broke thanks to my kid's gas" formula to Parent's Choice Gentle formula. I figure if I go with the cheap stuff now then maybe these first 4 months of $40+/week to feed him will even out by the time he is 1 year old! We'll see how it goes... Oh and next week we get to look forward to our 4 month shots and in addition to just the shots and general crankiness they can cause, vaccinations (the Rotavirus vaccine in particular) causes Reflux Flares! GREAT!!!!

xoxo

1 comment:

Heather said...

You can try giving him water, instead of formula. Sometimes baby's get into the habit of waking to eat, instead of waking because they are hungry.

Good luck!!