Sunday, October 4, 2009

Surgery for Mama

I usually post primarily about Jack, but thought I would add a little bit of I guess fairly important news about myself. I am having my Thyroid taken out on Oct. 15th. Most of the people reading this know I have been monitoring my Thyroid since I was in highschool and well the time has come to take it out. It is still producing an adequate amount of hormone, but the Goiter is still growing. We tried hormone therapy (I began taking a low dose of hormone replacement about 18 months ago in hopes that the extra hormone would shrink the goiter), but an ultrasound a couple weeks ago showed that the goiter has NOT shrunk and in fact the left size has gotten larger, slightly, but larger.

So Dr. Garner set up consult with Dr. Cedeno (the surgeon) and I met with him last week and I loved him, really, really liked him and immediately felt comfortable! He was friendly, personable, took his time to explain the procedure and answered every question I had! It also doesn't hurt that I work with his brother at Watco! Ha! After the consult the surgery was scheduled for Thursday Oct. 15th! Some might be asking, "Why the rush?" The reason...since we have already hit our insurance deductible for the year from having Jack my surgery will be 100% F. R. E. E. which is a total bonus!

The only thing I was not too happy about was the fact that I was under the impression it would be an outpatient procedure, but I was WRONG! I will have to stay in the hospital OVERNIGHT! I'm totally bummed about it, but my Mom is going to come stay at the house to help Chris with Jack that night so I'm not too concerned, but I still don't like the idea of spending the night away from him! Boo...

xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you have cystic lessions in the thyroid they could be drained or PEI treated.

Miss M's Mommy said...

Good luck! We'll be thinking about ya!