Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Food for Thought

Here we are at 5 months and 1 week old and "The Mean Momma" (aka me!) has yet to let my little man have any food even brush across his perfect little lips (well except for that one BBQ chip Daddy let him lick before I had a chance to scream NO!).

I'm just not ready, it's not that I don't necessarily think Jack is/isn't ready, but I'm not ready either. I'm worried about his little tummy! He still seems to have a rough go at it as far as digestion goes - have I mentioned he has had hard BM's for about 3 weeks now? He goes once if not twice a day but some are formed, some just dry, some really pasty - I know it's from the formula switch, but I was hoping his little system would adjust but so far no luck! The only thing that is keeping me from flipping out is that he doesn't seem bothered at all my any tummy troubles - no more gas then usual, his belly is soft and not hard, he doesn't cry or scream while having a BM, etc. He seems perfectly fine, but doesn't it sound wrong? For a 5 month old who is still formula only to have hard, dry BM's? IDK - maybe it's normal?!

I also know that there are some foods that will make it worse (BRAT - bananas, rice, apples, toast - the ole BRAT diet staples), but I'm not sure what everything else will do to further stop him up! Poor little guy! I know there are foods that should help, but I don't really know which foods those are - I mean in baby food world?

I swear everyone looks at me like I'm "The Mean Momma" and not letting him have food, "He must be starving!" they say, well more like they give me a weird look and I know what they are thinking...Ugh! Well you know what, my 5 month old is close to 17 pounds, chunky, happy, healthy, and sleeping through the night for 10 hours (knock on wood - we don't want to go down the sleep path again) so I say, or scream - HE IS NOT HUNGRY OR STARVING - BACK THE TRUCK UP! OK?

xoxo

5 comments:

Heather said...

Haha.. you're the mama, so you make the rules.

I don't know how you feel about juice, but if you give him 50% apple juice mixed with 50% water, that always help loosen Max up a little. Just a thought. :)

Derek and Adrianne said...

All I can say is do what you think is right and start veggies first once the cereal is introduced and accepted well!! Don't forget 3 to 5 days with one food flavor to make sure there is no allergy!! We had to do Banana's 3 different times before Addy could handle it!!

Tj and Chelse said...

I'm going to send Audrey over here. She knows the stats. I know Breastfed Babies do not need extra food until WAY later than you think. They get everything they need from your milk. I'm not sure about formula-fed but no worries! He is fine.

Audrey said...

I'm not too sure about formula fed babies. Typically it's "Before 1, just for fun." I think it's also important to note that babies that are fed later, tend to have less allergic reactions.

Signs to look for that he's ready would be sitting up independently (without any support), interest in food, loss of the tongue thrust, and the ability to chew.

I didn't enjoying feeding my babies and waited a very long time. (It's more work. It's super messy. And once you start, you can't really stop.) I do know that as long as he continues to gain weight and remain on his growth chart, then he'll be fine no matter when you start.

Sara said...

I wouldn't worry about it. When you're ready he will be ready. We started Wyatt on rice cereal, which he really liked, then moved onto carrots and he loved them too. We tried green beans, squash, and peas and he didn't like any of them. He started feeling sick and so we backed off of the food. We have been just eating rice cereal again and just this week starting oatmeal with bananas in it. He really likes it. So take your time and know that there's no rush!! :)