Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Childbirth Class: Week 2

We had our second week of classes at the hospital last night and let me tell you it wasn't that much better then last week. The class is technically called "Childbirth Preparation" so I guess it's not so much like a "Lamaze" class, as a true "prep" class for what to expect before, during, and after giving birth.

Last night we watched another video (I must say this one was more graphic and I liked it) and it was good. Then we talked all about pain management and what options there are. Going all natural, using IV drugs, getting an Epidural (which I will be doing), Spinal Cocktails (used primarily for c-sections), and then General Anesthesia (for extreme emergent c-section cases).

Our instructor did explain that with the IV drugs and Epidurals the first dose is always the best and most effective so the longer you can hold out the better the drugs will work for you during the most difficult stages of labor/delivery. Then she quickly followed up with, "But if you hit an 8 we can't give you anything after that, so make sure you don't get too far along before you ask for the pain meds!" I'm going to have to stay on top of that! I think if I can get to a 5 or 6 on my own then I'll get it after that - that's my goal anyway.

Next week is breathing exercises and postpartum!

xoxo

No comments: