Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Day In The Life of a Mom to a 3 Month Old...

I have a few friends that are expecting babies soon and this post is more for my documentation and their preparation! I just wanted to give them a glimpse into what life might be like with their new babies, especially if they are like me and have to return to work after the first couple 2 or 3 months!

I'm going to start in the morning... Jack is my new alarm clock - he usually starts stirring anywhere between 5:30 and 6:00am. I get out of bed at 6, so I usually just try to catch a few more minutes of sleep in between his cooing, grunting, and sometimes whining!

Alarm goes off at 6, I head straight to the kitchen wash my hands, get Jack's Prevacid pill and cut it in half with the pill cutter, fill a syringe with a tiny bit of warm water and head back to the bedroom. I give Jack his pill and a little squirt of water - his pill is a solutab so it dissolves, but I help him get it all down with a little bit of water - then put his button back in his mouth, and turn on the womb bear which seems to calm him back down a bit.

I then race to the bathroom, brush teeth, wash face, use restroom. Head back to the bedroom where I hurridly put on my face, after makeup I head to the kitchen put a coffee cup with water in the mircrowave for 3 minutes and then prep his bottle. When the 3 minutes is up I put the bottle in the water and its back to the bedroom to do my hair. By this time Jack is either back to sleep and not making noise or he is getting a bit fussy if he is gassy and uncomfortable, but he usually always lets me get myself in order without having a meltdown.

After I get my hair done I scoop up Jack and head to the kitchen, grab his bottle and then get comfy in the recliner. Jack eats which takes about 15 minutes or so - he is fast! - then we usually enjoy a little quiet time for another 15 minutes or so, when if I'm lucky he will fall back asleep!

I put Jack down either asleep or in his bouncy or jumparoo - all depending on his mood that morning! - then head to the bedroom get my clothes on and then it's time to wash the bottles from the night before! After that I snag Jack and we head to his room to get ready for the day. Our morning "getting ready" routine goes like this: I get him to smile so he is in a good mood - he doesn't like getting his diaper changed so we have to get off to a good start. Undress him, change diaper, lotion him, redress him in fresh clothes, clean his hands with a wipe - he has been putting them in his mouth and they stink from his formula!

Now, off to daycare! After loading Jack up and making it out the door - usually right at 7:30am -
we drive 10 minutes out to Frontenac to Tonya's house. We go in, visit for a minute, then I head to work. Work from 8-5, then back to Tonya's to pick Jack up!

We usually get home around 5:30pm. If he is asleep I was his bottles from the day at Tonya's house, if not we play. We usually play until it's time for his bath before his next bottle anywhere from 6:00-7:00pm. Jack loves his bath: we play in the water, get all clean, then dry, fresh pj's, and of course more lotion, but after that it's time for dinner! Depending on what time he eats his dinner we will either play again for awhile or he will go straight down to sleep. He is usually asleep anywhere from as early as 7:30 to as late as 8:30.

He sleeps until 10:00pm then sleep eats another bottle and straight back down to bed. I head to bed after this feeding, then he usually wakes up around 2:15 or 2:30am from his gas pain and we eat another bottle - usually back in bed again around 3:00am. Then my little man alarm clock will start making noise anywhere from 5:30-6:00am and the whole thing starts over!

So if you were keeping track I usually get about 2 hours a day to keep everything clean, the house, laundry, dishes, myself, etc. It's tough, but getting better! I know if we could get past this gassiness at night - they say it's because they are on their back for extended periods of time through the night and it's harder for them to pass it while on their back - think about it could you pass gas or poo laying on your back? - but once we get passed that, hopefully once he starts rolling over and can decide if he wants to tummy sleep the waking up due to gas will subside! Until then I don't see us making it through the night without a feeding.

Wow, this got long! Sorry!

xoxo

1 comment:

Sara said...

gotta love never needing an alarm clock any more!!