Tuesday, August 11, 2009

swaddling...

My post this morning got me thinking about another "sleep" issue. Jack has been swaddled from day one and he loves it. Even when he is fussy sometimes just swaddling him and letting him lay by himself is the only thing that works. I like to sit by him and rub his belly and that calms him down and/or puts him to sleep sometimes and that way he still knows I'm close by and I feel I'm comforting him without actually holding him.

I have to admit we don't hold him that often or for extended periods of time - I know there is major debate and different opinions on the whole holding a baby too much theory, but I do it more because I want him to be independent (as much as an 11 week old baby can be), but in the same breathe I do not want to be misunderstood as a parent that does not respond to their baby. I totally don't let him cry it out alone, I hate hearing him cry - any cry, for any reason! I immediately go get him and pick him up or put his mute button (pacifier) back in his mouth if it falls out, etc. etc. etc. I never let him cry and try everything within my power to soothe and comfort him as quickly as possible.

Anywho, got off topic. OK - Jack loves being swaddled, but he is getting to the point where he can sometimes get 1 arm or even 2 arms out, but he will continue to sleep or he goes back to sleep - assuming he woke up and wiggled his way free...so I guess we don't really have a problem per se yet, but when should we transition from swaddle to swaddle-free sleeping? I mean is it bad, weird, odd, restricting to have a 6 month old that is still swaddled? Right now he is sleeping on his Bobby Lounger in our bed right next to my pillow (I know I said I would never do it, but I did and I'm not going to make an excuse for it). Up until about 6 weeks old he had slept every night in his pack n play bassinet, but this is when the reflux started and it scared me that he would wheeze and cough and spit up - even though he was only 2 feet away from me, so I moved him into the bed. I am planning to start putting him back in his pack n play TONIGHT, but he will still be in our room - I don't want him in his own room...yet...I would miss him I think.

So opinions on swaddling? When is enough enough? I don't mind swaddling him and he likes it, but I also don't want a 5 year old in a giant burrito!!! See picture...




xoxo

2 comments:

Heather said...

Haha that picture is funny.

We swaddled Max until about 3 months (I think). We were also bad parents who put him on his belly to sleep in his crib at that time. It was THE. ONLY. WAY. he would sleep. I think you can swaddle them like 6 to 9 months, but more than likely he will wean himself. It sounds like he is already doing it.

Gina - Peke Moe said...

oh that photo is hiliarous! we used a sleep sack for swaddle weaning for our swaddle addict called a peke moe http://www.pekemoe.co.nz

check it out! :) all the best