Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Great Debate Update

I thought an update or more info was necessary after some of the comments I have received on the whole teething debate. Everyone thinks it sounds like teething to them, which is good and bad in my case.

I have tried Tylenol alternating with Motrin - doesn't seem to help much. We've tried the Teething Tablets - didn't see anything come of that at all. I haven't tried Baby Orajel, but I'm going to get some (hence we I haven't tried it), but I looked last night and I seriously DO NOT SEE ANYTHING in his mouth! No swollen gums, no white spots, no nada!?

I mean I totally wish/hope that he is teething because I'm dying to let him try more table food and I'm starting to wonder if he even has teeth anywhere under those gums - I mean he is 9.5 months old for goodness sake!

But I did start him back on his reflux meds this morning because the more I watched him the more I thought he was showing some signs of reflux - rearing his head back, not wanting to lay down on his back, the non-stop hiccups, it's always worse at night after he has ate all day long (Tonya says he is fine all day at daycare, but around 5:30 or so he gets super duper cranky!), wanting bottles over food - this soothes the pain in his throat, the wet burps have begun again as well and waking at 2am screaming.

Either way - his reflux meds won't hurt him and we can try weaning again in another few months and if it's teeth then teething TOTALLY sucks! We'll see hopefully here in the next week or so if we pop a tooth through or if his meds take his symptoms away (it takes about 5-7 days for the medicine to start working again - grr...).

xoxo

2 comments:

Sara said...

i read your blog yesterday and i didn't really think teething. yes wyatt was a bear while teething but he wouldn't eat while teething. anything at all! i would definately say reflux issues coming back. also, we have baby orajel and i don't know if it really does anything because we'll put it on and he would still sit and scream. sounds like you already know what to do and put him back on the meds. :)

Anonymous said...

Hope he gets to feeling better no matter if it's teething or reflux. Elle just popped a couple of teeth through the other day & it happened so early (5 months) we didn't think to give her anything to sooth her. She was a trooper for sure and was doing a lot of what Jack seems to be doing. I guess if it's teeth, you'll know soon enough!

Laura & Elle